Monday, June 22, 2015

Windows 10 Is Free.. Why?

A lifetime of experience has taught me nothing is ever free. I was surprised by a notice that appeared in my monthly 'Windows Update' offering a free future upgrade to Windows 10. So why would Microsoft offer it's latest operating system for free?

The main reason we are told, Microsoft is hoping to make up the money by selling "Apps". That however may be the whole story. CBS News-- "The software maker's chief operating office recently spoke about moving from one-time licensing fees to an "annuity conversion," meaning that the company may still be trying to figure out how to loop people, or at least corporations, into paying an annual fee."I already have been lamenting the loss of my Windows 7 which I was completely happy with. This is because my new computer's hardware (I'm told) is not designed to handle it. Apparently I wasted my money buying a Windows 7 installation disk for my prior computer. Now after only a few months having Windows 8.1 they want to tag me again.

I am of the philosophy if it's broke don't fix yet. Especially when it comes to the complex world of software that may or may not function on the next so-called latest and greatest operating system.

Tough Beans
I envision what's going on here whether we like it or not. In a couple of years or less. Microsoft could cripple whatever version of a operating system of their choosing unless a annual ransom fee is paid. Given what CBS News reported it's not outside the realm of possibility. Who knows, it's possible they may even include prior versions such as mine.

Commercial software and various anti-virus programs have been charging annual fees for years already. What makes this different is for the first time an entire operating system could be disabled. Thus rendering a computer of little use other than as a doorstop.



Could Vehicles Be Next?
Most cars have highly digitized operating systems. It's already possible in later models to disable their engines not only when they are stolen but when a owner falls behind on their payments. Why wouldn't the next step be to require annual fess on their operating systems as well?



This whole thing reminds me of the TV entertainment industry. A actor gets paid for the one time they performed on a show. Then every time the show reruns they get paid again even if they never worked again for the next 20 years. Hell even after they're dead the heirs can collect.

Don't You Wish You Could Do That!


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published