Thursday, January 9, 2020

Old Enough To Remember Dopey Duncan At Walps?

Here is one of his Saturday morning broadcast....

His real name was Luther Gehringer.


If you're not old enough to remember
THE MORNING CALL did a extensive write up.on May 14, 1990.


My experience with Dopey came when I was around 10 years old. He'd let me sit him with him and Paul Galgon on their Saturday morning radio show "Two On The Sunnyside" at WKAP. He'd let me work the board, pull the big ET (electrical transcription records) so they could play ads on the oversized 'Gates' turntables and occasionally chatter back and forth with him on the air. This is where my interest in broadcasting began.

I also had the good fortune to be invited by him to his body shop in Minesite, Pa. and into his home. He also took me boat fishing with him at Lake Wallenpaupack. To the quarter midget track out in Fogelsville he was involved with at the time. In short he was like a second father to me. This is why I, like many others, still miss him.

"Loo' sir, knock it off"
Another story comes from my wife's late grandmother who lived above him when he was just a pup living in Allentown. She said they had to yell a couple of times at him to shut up and quit playing "Mule Train" outside on the front stoop at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published