Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Robocalls Never Say YES

I received yet another scam call wanting me to say "yes". That makes three today. The last one being as I was typing this!

According to THE CHICAGO TRIBUNE-- Fraudsters feign difficulty with a headset or phone receiver and ask respondents, “Can you hear me?” This is an attempt to get unsuspecting victims to say “yes” on a recorded line so that the recording can then be used to verify approval of charges to the victim’s phone bill, cable/internet bill or credit card....

The scammer already has the victim’s phone number and may also have other personal information from a data breach. The fraudster is then able to charge unauthorized phone calls, internet service and/or other expensive purchases, using the recorded “yes” as evidence such charges were approved.


Best advice is don't say anything.. not even "no". They could use that as well. Now imagine this in conjunction with what I said in my last post about stolen mail. They could already have someone's information.

I never play with them fearing they could set their machines to relentlessly call who knows how many times a day. I tried several different things. Letting the answer machine get them all. Playing a recording with the telephone company's tones saying this number has been disconnected. Picking up and hanging up within a second. Answering hello then hanging up after they respond. Call blocking (I gave up after them spoofing over 50 different phone numbers). All to no avail.

I have cameras out front so at least I can ignore those vermin coming to my front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published