Thursday, January 17, 2013

Roller Skating Nostalgia

Back in the 60's when I was a teenager there used to be a roller skating rink in Allentown on South 4th Street near Dixon Street. It was called "Skateland."

They did not have an organ player like many of the skating rinks did in those days. So many funny stories and so many happy hours I spent skating there.

If I wasn't there most likely I could be found at LaRose's up in Lehighton. I was quite surprised to learn that LaRose's is still there after all these years (since 1926)!

As the years rolled on times changed and a number of teenagers had moved on to teen clubs. The Mod Mill, The Zoo, The Mad Hatter, to name a few. Business slowly faded for "Skateland" but my memories of it did not.

With this nostalgia on my mind I decided to piece this video together from clips I've found on YouTube. I used a midi soundtrack from my Roland SC55 in place of the ones on these videos. What I found interesting even though the music changed entirely at the skating rinks, the skating rhythm remains the same.


(The bathroom dude at the end of this clip is comedian Brian Gattas)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published