Monday, May 16, 2016

News Roundup (05/16/2016)

Items I came across recently in the news which interested me and thought maybe you too.


Raw Story: Leaks show senate staffer threatened Colombia with loss of foreign aid over cheap cancer drug-- "A new report says that the pharmaceutical industry is using the U.S. Congress as its enforcement arm against firms that want to manufacture cheap cancer drugs abroad."

Philly.com: Philly biking is on the decline-- "Commuters biking to work was a puny 1.9 percent in 2015, the same as 2014, down from the high-water mark of 2.3 percent in 2013."

Philly.com: $6 billion short, no easy answers-- "Sadly, the city owes its pensioners... $11 billion ... after years of underpayment and mixed investment yields... Hedge fund returns that once juiced Philly returns have dragged performance down the past two years."

Philly.com: He's got four million doo-wop 45s for sale-- "Val Shively's R&B Records in Upper Darby is a three-story bop-shoo-bop shrine, stacked floor to ceiling with four million records, mostly 45s by '50s and early '60s."

Daily Mail: Lawmakers take another step toward requiring women to register for the draft when they turn 18-- "The Senate Armed Services Committee OK'd legislation that would give women 30 days to sign up after they turn 18 beginning in January of 2018. The proposal has already been approved by the committee's counterpart in the House."

Facebook: Foghat Band Member Craig MacGregor from Reading, Pa. Has Stage 4 Lung Cancer.-- "It's important for me to share with you my story about my missed cancer diagnosis because I want to raise awareness for your rights as a patient... Your medical tests are important, right? But what happens when you don't get those results back, or if they find something that they weren't looking for?" << And they don't tell the patient !

NY Daily News: Woman, 72, whose family house was stolen through deed fraud has no right to sue-- ""The recording of a deed is a purely ministerial function and the recording clerk must accept a deed for filing that meets the minimal requirements of the recording statute," the judge wrote. He said the only requirements are that "the deed be acknowledged and that the recording fees are paid." "The recording clerk has no authority to look beyond the instrument that is being presented for recording."

Bloomberg: Americans Break Record for Working Past 65-- "Almost 20 percent of Americans 65 and older are now working... That’s the most older people with a job since the early 1960s, before the U.S. enacted Medicare.

The Transgender Issue
Raw Story: Kentucky woman says man beat her for looking too masculine — as people stood by and watched-- "In a post on her Facebook timeline, Brittany Nicole Wallace wrote, “Today I was assaulted. A man assaulted me because I look like a ‘dike’! He told me that he would ‘beat me like the man I want to be.’ He said, ‘people like me make him hate the world.'” “He started by hitting me over and over in the face until he got me down,” Wallace wrote. “After I was down he began to kick me in the stomach, side, and face.”

Transgender at 11 years old



Malisa's Story | NBC Nightly News


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published