Thursday, July 16, 2015

Allentown Council Meeting Case Of Citizen Apathy?

Appearing before council, where does it get you?

Wednesday, July 15, 2015's Allentown City council meeting was billed to be a big event. It was the first time since the FBI raid on city hall. The news organizations all turned out expecting a hot time in the old town. As it actually turned out only a few more then two dozen citizens showed up.

As I look over all the comments on their stories and in social media almost all are critical of the people of Allentown not showing up throwing a hissy fit. Comments run along the line of apathetic lever pulling losers. Here let me educate ya a little bit.

It wasn't that long ago in May of 2011 city council was confronted in the most strong way possible. The meeting concerned city council approval to take nearly four dozen businesses away from their owners through the use of eminent domain for the NIZ. Up until that time everyone thought nearly for certain NIZ was going into the 'Riverfront" area only.. SURPRISE!

Let take a look how that went.

One had this to say...


It was on this very blog I said people shouldn't get too excited because it's only the first reading. Council seldom passes anything on it's first reading. Especially something this big and important. BOY WAS I WRONG!


They rammed it through on the first reading despite calls to do otherwise...




And so the vote was taken...

Notice who the members on council were at the time?


Anyone who still can't understand by now why people didn't turn up Wednesday night need to reexamine themselves. History is not your friend.

     Allentown proposed the Eminent Domain- APPROVED!
     Allentown wanted a questionable incinerator project- APPROVED!
     Allentown wanted to lease it's water- APPROVED!

Folks it doesn't matter. The deck's been stacked for a long time and most of us living here already know that. Here maybe this will help explain it a bit further. I was notified that my sidewalks had to be replaced a few years ago. Do it.. or the city will and bill me. We called city hall and asked why by the city replaced them downtown and didn't bill those people. We were told they didn't do regular home inspections out here... Do you want one!

That's how this city rolls. There are other stories but I'm not about to divulge them here as they might serve to identify me. This is why I try to stay out of the limelight by not identifying myself (payback's a bitch). Yes you can stand up and speak, but I learned a long time ago how badly it can go when you do. I am unwilling to put myself or family through it. While I truly appreciate those who do, I'm sure they've paid a price for it.

SUMMARIZING
You can blow bugles all day, but council isn't about to turn in their rubber stamps. I think everyone kind of figured this out a long time ago. Maybe now the federal probe may get their attention, but don't expect things will get back to the way they once were. That train left the station.


NOTE
All 56 Vides can be found HERE
All Videos Posted by: 'imantrek'


2 comments:

  1. I care a lot about this issue but did not go to Council meeting as I saw it as an exercise in futility, great summation of how things work in Allentown by the way...

    ReplyDelete

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published