Tuesday, April 29, 2014

2014 Tony Award Nominees Announced

Today (Tuesday, April 29, 2014) the 2014 Tony Award nominees were announced.

Here's what I predict...

Most Likely To Win For Best Musical:
"Beautiful - The Carole King Musical"



However this is the one that I really wish would win because I always favor
musicals that don't sound like some sort of rehashed concert performance from the past



Best Revival of a Musical: "Les Misérables"
There's no way the musical scores of "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" or "Violet" stand a chance. I'd be surprised if "Violet" (my second choice) would win, as much as I like Sutton Foster.


Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre: "If/Then"
First off, it stars Idina Menzel. Second, if there's any justice in the world this is the musical that deserves to be the winner in this category While I give a thumbs up to the music in "Aladdin" it's no way in hell an "original score".

As far as the rest of the nominations I must confess I've not seen any of these musicals (other the original performance of Les Misérables on Broadway). So I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess who the other winners might be.

As far as spending some loot going to see a show here's the one that interest the wife and I the most right now. This because it's musical scores and dance numbers are the closest thing to being the way music writers always intended them to be performed. Broadway should not ever become a concert venue for old rock musicians and their songs.

About "Bullets Over Broadway"



A Small Teaser Video
"


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published