Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Old64goat Has Plumbing Issues


I posted this video because I can so relate to him. Now that I'm 73 I find myself far from being able to do what I once was able to do.

In 1990 when we moved into this house I completely redid the attic. I used rolls of insulation and plastic vapor barrier, sheet rocked , painted walls for a large 3rd floor bedroom. It took weeks with the help of my wife carrying all that stuff up there with me after her and my work hours.

Next the unfinished basement. Studded it all out, insulated with vapor barrier, did sheetrock as well. Did the drop ceiling like we had on third floor. In the kitchen replaced the gas stove, garbage disposal and dishwasher myself. Retiled the floor, hung drop ceiling and refinished all the kitchen cabinets and replaced knobs and handles. In the bathroom replaced the toilet with a water saver and re-plumbed the drains all the way down into the basement sewer lines.

I also used to do almost all both of our cars' repairs including brakes, generator, starter, radiator, power steering unit, water pump, etc.

These days I find these task almost impossible because of my age and COPD. Hence why I can relate to oldgoat. It's quite frustrating. In short getting old sucks. It also places one in a financial position whereas it becomes harder and harder to stay in one's home. Repair expenses increase greatly while income shrinks each passing year.

To be frank it scares the hell out of me to think one day I'd have to give up this home to live in a high rise for seniors which I equate to living in a chicken coop. This because for the last 41 years I was never forced to live above/below/surrounded by others who can be annoying. Also not being told by management what I can or cannot do. Including having pets I had over my entire life. Only thing worse would be 'assisted living' where minimum wage workers would consider us a chore.

My thinking here is for people like myself and all the others who have aged out should be given every opportunity to be able to stay in their homes. I find it unfair forced to pay property taxes far beyond mine and others working years over a lifetime.

I graduated 55 years ago. I think I've more then paid my fair share of the debt for my education several times over again. As far as county and city services we most certainly use far fewer of them then we once did during our prime. It seems to me it could cost various government budgets far less for housing seniors then cutting them some breaks so they can stay the homes they wish to be. As far as the rebates, added all together it would amount to far less then most people believe them to be. In my case only about $50 a month at most after checking them out.

Free bus ride? you're kidding I'd have to walk 5 blocks, wait and most certainly not be able to go where I need to go and lug stuff back on the bus with me. And most certainly spend hours instead of minutes doing it in my own 31 year old 1990 van. Imagine picking up my prescriptions and waiting another hour or two for a bus whereas I drive up and return within 15 minutes at most. Plus we shop a grocery store which doesn't even have bus service.

Like I said, growing old sucks. BUT.. it still beats going to work everyday. Just wish it didn't have to be a financial threat to staying in one's home they worked for. This is my point of view from a senior's perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published