Saturday, September 26, 2015

Updating iPhone To iOS 9 Could Be A Risk


Huffington Post: Your iPhone Is Vulnerable To A Major Hack If You Updated To iOS 9
"Thankfully, there's an easy fix."

Don't Need No Stinkin' Updates
I've dutifully updated every Windows operating system I've had for years. I've stopped doing this about three months ago. Here's why. In the past with every update it took longer and longer to reboot. It also screwed up several features in my various software. You'd think I'd learned my lesson over the years when I first installed this one last November 2014. After eight months of updates this system has become sluggish as the ones before whereas it was lightening fast. In addition about seven other pieces of software keep nagging me every month. What for?




If it ain't broke don't fix it!
I tend to think these programmers are more interested in harvesting my user information from their software then improving security.

I have a very good Norton Security program which has caught everything I needed it to protect. Never once in tens of years have I've ever been infected with a virus, malware or a rootkit. If anything these updates are more effective at slowing things down then if I did. So what's the point?



If I had the ambition to take the exhaustive task of wiping everything out and starting all over again without any of the updates I would. However I don't have a mindset to reinstall my dozens of software programs and 10,000's of files because it would take me well over forty hours. Not to mention all the settings I'd have to redo. If I ever again have to start out from scratch it will be without these updates. The only updates I would do are to the ones that stopped working.

To critics who may call me a fool my reply is..
If ever the day comes that a rootkit, malware or virus gets past Norton, that will be the day of my conversion. Until then I'm now stuck with many of the features, settings and reduced speed all taken away I once had. Thus I won't be so inclined to reduce them any further with more of these, what I consider, useless updates. Sometimes there are even updates to the updates because they were faulty as such seems to be in the case of the one mentioned above.

Your mileage may vary.
What's been your experience?


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published