Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Power Outages Suck!


I was composing a few posts yesterday when the power went out..
     AGAIN!


I'm not sure why, but this is starting to happen several times a year now.

When it does..

* My four wireless video surveillance cameras have to be reset. It takes about a half an hour to restore all the various settings I have for each one's motion detector zones, pre/post record settings, etc.

* My time settings on the two DVR's, telephone answering machine, microwave oven, stove/oven clock, night light timers and the clocks on my two nightstands.

* Sometimes the TV channel memories also have to be reprogrammed.

* Unfortunately for one reason or another it takes 3 reboots for this computer to restart + I lost the document I was working on the day before to post here today.

* I also lose the electronic settings on my through-the-window air conditioners and my basement dehumidifier.

* Not only that it's freakin' boring as hell w/o electricity! :-)
I also try to turn off all my breakers so there isn't a surge when electric comes back on. I suppose all this is no big deal, but it has been happening ever more frequently. I wonder why that is?

The one thing really good about it is how it reminds us how much our lives are centered around the flow of electrons and what life would be like without it. One could only imagine the horrors of a world if a EMP wave would cross our path from either the sun or a nuclear explosion and it's resultant magnetic force were to be set off in our atmosphere. Either of these could result in every form of electrical energy being nullified . This includes all vehicles, cell phones, computers (and all existing records erased).


Yeah like the United States doesn't have one of these weapons in it's arsenal


In short, life would cease to exist as we now know it. So it's a a good thing from time to time to be reminded just how fragile we are and how dependent we are by these occasional power outages. These power outages serve as a constant reminder never to take for granted how quickly everything in this life can change in an instant.

Think life can't change in an instant?
Call me an alarmist, but I am quite sure neither did the residents living at the base of Mount Vesuvius in Pompeii, Italy in August 79 AD. Nor the folks living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki Japan on those fateful days back in August 1945. << CORRECTION: I changed the date. My thanks go to a observant reader who left a comment correcting me.

Better to be over concerned then taking for granted that nothing on this Earth can ever happen to change what we all take for granted in-so-much as our lives will last forever unchanged. Yeah I know some think I'm talking nuts after all it was only a short power outage. But just what if it weren't. What would we do if food supplies, water, all communications, money supply and jobs were to suddenly disappear?

     Never say never.. that it can't happen!

2 comments:

  1. Nor the folks living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki Japan on those fateful days back in August 1946.
    Typo? It was 1945.
    But to answer your question, there would be a bright side. No taxes, NSA, video games, GMO research, texting, reality TV (including Kardashians), drones, and so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous said, "Typo? It was 1945"
    You are indeed correct. Thanks I shall correct that date in the story

    Anonymous said, "..there would be a bright side. No taxes, NSA..."
    You have a point. There would still be games like horseshoes, badminton, tennis, etc. Even football, baseball, etc. could still be played during daylight hours.

    Oh yeah that's right, there'd be no electric bills either!

    Thanks to you.. now my glass is half full, instead of half empty :-)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published