Saturday, February 15, 2014

Snow Brings Out The Worse In People

I've been reading a lot of online comments here and there. First off let me say this. East Side and downtown Allentown versus West End Allentown is a bullshit argument. Each part of Allentown has it's own unique problems. Since 5 crews were assigned to center city the West End has not seen much plowing either. It isn't like I or the neighbors are sitting back with our feet propped up sipping on piƱa coladas. My wife missed 3 days of work so far and I've spend countless hours trying to unplug the back alley where our garages are. Some would have you believe otherwise.

Don't get me wrong center city needs those crews and they should absolutely be the priority right now.. Heaven forbid a fire or medical emergency would cut them off. I'm highly in favor of what these crews are doing.

It irritates me time and again when one part of Allentown is pitted against the other. One could argue we pay higher taxes so we should get more plowing. Absolutely not! Nor shall I complain when my taxes are spent for the heavier policing required downtown throughout the rest of the year. They need that for a reason. In the summer we hear people complain about the city hauling grass clippings from out here. Be far it from me to complain when the city only sweeps out here once or twice a whole summer. Downtown needs that more then we.

Look folks we are in a bind due to this snow just like everyone else. While parking may be less a problem, getting out is not. Why is it some people are always looking for an excuse to speak ill of another? Snow sucks for everyone. I've lived downtown for years where our street was too narrow for the plows. I had to shovel a alley to another alley to get to the half street to get to Allen Street. I understand the kind of difficulties people are enduring right now. But really neither the street crews, the city nor we in the West End made it snow.

Why can't people accept the fact that no one has it made right now. If people spent as much time shoveling as complaining maybe things would be less awful. Even my neighbor bitched at me for not clearing enough snow out of our alley. Then another neighbor pulled into the alley where I did clear and blocked it and my garage for hours eliminating any possibility that even if a snow plow came along they couldn't get through (including my wife being unable to get out of our garage-- a co-worker had to drive her to work today).

Admittedly, I do get cranky with people who are cranky. File this one under.. "what the hell's the matter with people!"

To quote an lyric from a song the 'Up With People" once sang..."If more people were for people...
More people everywhere..
There'd be a lot less people to worry about and a lot more people who'd care"


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published