Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Computer Updates & Me

I've mentioned how I don't do updates and have been getting along fine.


I've been cranking to myself how websites have been loading up their pages with all kinds of crap that's slowing down my IE9 browser. Well that's true, but it's also true we've moved up to HTML5 which IE9 isn't too fond of. Microsoft released the IE10 browser which is both lighter and designed to handle HTML5. Well that explains that!

Into The Jungle I Go
I couldn't download IE10 because SP 1 wasn't installed on my Windows 7. The solution seemed a simple matter. I'll check for updates and download only the SP1... or so I thought. Turns out I couldn't install that either w/o first catching up to the 154 updates I've been ignoring for so long. Soooooo, onward and upward.

Seems when a O/S is that far out of date 22 of the 154 updates fail to install. This required me to recheck for updates several times and finally I managed to get them installed. Whew, I finally was offered SP1 after that mess and installed it. Yahoo.. success!

Best I rescan and see if there are any updates for SP1. Yepper. 75 of them. Oh Joy. So finally after a total of 8 hours I finally was offered IE10. The end at last! So I downloaded, installed and rescanned for updates. Wouldn't you know it, now there's an IE11.

Turns out IE11 runs like grease lightening. Compared to the way things were for months around here, I found I could make my posts and visit websites in about 1/3 the time it was taking me.

So what's the lesson here?

When it comes to programmers and their software updates, ya' gotta'


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published