Thursday, January 1, 2015

Radio I Grew Up Listening To

Some Of The Great Radio DJ's I Grew Up Listening To

Video Courtesy: Art Vuolo


The problem today is someone could drive from Atlantic City to Los Angeles and still hear the same satellite feed program from coast to coast. Just what if one of the 50,000 watt stations set themselves apart from all the others. I wonder whether it ever crossed their minds. Considering AM radio is dead I wonder if one of them would have much to lose if they tried doing something entirely different by bringing back this kind of uniquely individual format. What do you think?

One of the guys I most listened to was Joey Reynolds when he was at WKBW (1520) out of Buffalo New York. It was one of only five clear channel 50,000 watt AM radio stations in the country. I hoped one day when I later got on radio to be just like him. Fortunately for me when I did I had neither his talent nor his knack for getting fired at just about every station he ever worked for :-)

Note in the following video the 27 stations he either got fired from or left on his own accord

Video Courtesy: Gene Tourangeau



Here's a Joey Reynolds classic from when he worked at WFIL Famous 56 in Philadelphia. It's from February 14th, 1985. Note in the video how after he screwed up he played a WIBG jingle instead of his own at WFIL just in case a listener would report him to the FCC :-)


Video Courtesy: Ellis Feaster


Legend has it the final straw that got him fired from WFIL is when he called a listener and pretended to be from another radio station and gave away that station's rather sizable prize money. LMAO!

Art Vuolo did a great job profiling Joey's long career


Joey Reynolds (Joey Pinto) does have a Facebook account, but I'm not sure if he's still around because the link no longer works. Let's hope we've not heard the last from this talented guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published