Thursday, February 28, 2013

Tip For Online Purchases

Repeat after me three times--Use Virtual Credit Card Numbers


I'm not familiar with other ones, but I use Bank Of America's "ShopSafe® Service". I have for years and love the thing. When you arrive at the online checkout, you pull up the app and log in. Generate a random account number, expiration date and spending limit. There are some who claim that there has been times merchants were still were able to get past the limit or expiration date. This never happened to me over the many years I've been using it.

Then on the other hand this may be because, after the purchase goes through I delete the randomly generated account number a day or two later just to play it safe. I also have my email alerts set up for anything that happens (payment or charge) over $1. Most times I'm alerted in email that a transaction was made before I complete my checkout at the merchant.

Even though someone is held liable for only up to $50 I think anyone not using a virtual number app is being foolish. Besides that's still fifty bucks! If you get suckered on your actual credit card number you will have to paper file a claim. Kill your credit account till it gets straightened out. While this app can't protect you from a sleazy merchant it certainly offers peace of mind knowing that they haven't gotten a hold of your actual credit card number and max'd it out.

Check out whether your credit card offers one of these apps. If not I'd consider opening one that does.'An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure'

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published