Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Thoughts On Bernie Sanders Bethlehem Town Hall


Bret, good point.

First off I have no intention of voting for Bernie in the primaries. I'm looking for someone who isn't 30 years older then most of the people they would be representing. That being said I thought he had a few good points, One of them was when people were asked to raise their hands if they'd favor a government health plan over their employer's. My response to those who react negatively is to ask- how many employees have a say in what plan their employer chooses? Unless bound by union negotiations I bet none. I'd be highly against a one plan fits all Bernie seems to support. If we're going do a plan it should be similar to Medicare but with several offerings. I also believe, like current Medicare, it should cover only 80%. People need to have some skin in the game so they aren't running to a doctor every time they sneeze. In addition I'd favor people able to opt into a supplemental plan. This would create greater flexibility for people to decide what would be a better fit for their needs.

The other thought is when a moderator questioned the low percentage he paid to the IRS. His response was why doesn't the moderator ask Trump what percentage he paid? His opposition is accusing Bernie of being one in the top 1% richest Americans. Not so. Bernie's tax forms indicate he and his wife's combined income was $561,293 in 2018. According to tax records Bernie and his wife are worth around $2.5 million in assets. However today's top 1% are described as having a net worth of $10,374,030 or more. Not that it matters since people seem to have no problem with a billionaire president anyway. But it's important to keep things in perspective by adhering to the facts.

The program also touched on Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Let me tell you how I feel about that. There are 535 members in congress. She is only one. Those on the right obsess night and day making her look as though she was the sole voice of the Democrats. If it weren't for their fixation I doubt any of us would know who she is. They're the ones making her out to be more then she is. One single voice amongst many who have many differing views. I highly doubt she'll sponsor a single bill over her two year term. If she does there's about a zero chance of it getting out of committee to the floor. Not to worry speaker Pelosi will continue to marginalize AOC each time she gets out of line. Trust me, you don't want to get in a pissing contest with Nancy. I highly expect Trump and FOX News will continue goading AOC knowing she always takes the bait. Much the same goes with Representative Ilhan Omar.

Like I said this time around I'm no Bernie fan. I have issues with his abrupt temperament. We already got one of those, We don't need another one. His views, rightly or wrongly, greatly irritate the other side of aisle. Yeah we already got one of those in the oval office. We don't need another one.

What we do need is someone willing to influence both sides by appealing to their better nature. I wish it weren't so but it must start at the top since I'm not seeing any grassroots movement towards this direction at the street level. I don't know which candidate I'd be willing to support but I'll know when I see one. A person who at their core is a unifier rather then a divider.

1 comment:

  1. There is no candidate out there that is a unifier .The politic division today makes division over The Vietnam War a slumber party

    ReplyDelete

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published