Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Finally Got My Van Back

Not that anyone should care but yesterday (April 08, 2019) I finally got my van back. I first got an estimate at the beginning of February. I was told to bring it in three weeks later on February 18th. All I wanted was my two rusted rear fenders repaired and the hood painted along with buffing out scratch marks I created when I scraped up against a sign post trying to pass another car in the back alley.

My worst fears were not realized
I was afraid they screwed up and didn't want to tell me. However when I picked it up the owner and I engaged in a lot of good conversation. Early on a mechanic called out sick for a week. Then quit. It took another week to hire someone who only stayed a few days. Another week to hire someone who didn't know how to do a repair properly. Another week to hire another who ended up also leaving a week later.

The owner showed me pictures he took every step of the way. Him and I both agree it's tough to find qualified individuals willing to stay. I can certainly relate to that. Before I retired, where I once worked, I trained perhaps 5 or 6 before one of them stayed. And some of them who did stay seemed like they only wanted to get hired so they could take advantage of our workman's comp.

Well at any rate-- the van's back looking great like when I bought it 22 years ago. Yeah you heard it right.

Mechanically it's in great shape. It just needed some body work. Even with this repair cost it's only a fraction of what another one would plus what it doesn't cost me to insure it. Now hopefully some knucklehead won't vandalize or bang into my faithful companion after all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published