Saturday, July 20, 2013

My Allentown School Tax

I just paid my 2013 school tax bill.
School taxes are a forever gift that keeps on giving to the school district

What you see is a chart of my budget for 2013...
My school tax cost me 40% more then my heating, cooking, hot water gas bill
My school tax cost me 40% more then my electric
My school tax cost me 30% more then my cable bill for TV, internet & telephone combined
My school tax cost me 5x's more then my car insurance for 2 drivers with 2 cars
My school tax cost me 10x's more then my water
My school tax cost me 2x's more then my homeowner insurance
My school tax cost me over 3x's higher then my county reality tax
My school tax cost 2x's as much as city reality tax (with the garbage fee included)

While what I spent on groceries and medical were both twice as much, there is a difference.
           I can do something about those!

The Allentown School District claims it costs $5,881 per pupil. Let's do a little math here. I had 2 kids x in school for 12 years. That adds up to $141,144 (in today's money). The youngest graduated 20 years ago. The other 6 years before that (26 years ago). The way I figure it I've more then paid my fair share in a number of ways.

More then my fair share?
Yes absolutely.. LOTS MORE!
Here's the breakdown. "53.8 percent of the district's basic education comes from the state, while 37.2 percent comes from local taxes and 9 percent from federal grants.". What this means is only 37.2% of ASD's budget comes from the taxes I paid directly. The other 62.8% came from state and federal funding. Keep in mind I also didn't account for the 12+ years I also paid into school taxes while the both were in school.

What this all boils down to is the money it cost to educate my two were already paid for by my state, federal & reality taxes years ago. Then on top of that the school district will not only get this years school taxes from me but another $3,693 per student from the state and federal government (62.8%*$5,881). AND I'm not even factoring in the unexpected recurring state funding of $8.2 million. Then there are those who are older then myself who never even had kids in school.

ENOUGH ALREADY!

* There needs to come a point at a person's age where one's debts for education are considered paid in full. If Social Security can track one's lifetime earnings, surely the school district could as well when it comes to paying them back.

* Unlike both the city or county, the school district provides no direct service to the individual taxpayer who hasn't had kids in school for years or never had kids in the first place..

* Taxpayers are paying at three levels. The state. The federal and again at the local.

* At least with my other expenditures I'm getting something for them and not being charged for services I no longer require until the day I die. Services that have been paid for in full for some time now.

These school taxes are what are forcing older people out of their homes and into publicly funded old folks homes where they no longer are required to pay school taxes. I for one abhor the idea of living in what I consider a chicken coop where they can cut off your oxygen and air conditioning at will. It's not exactly the kind of ending I had in mind when I started working 51 years ago. So pardon me if I take it personally when someone(s) picks my pockets long after I've repaid my debts. Be forced to give up my independence and the home I've worked hard for most of my life. Yeah I'm kinda' funny that way!

The School Tax Vise
Jessica Parks and Chris Palmer, Inquirer Staff Writers
"Taxes soar, but still suburban districts struggle. And the problem's worsening... Unlike New Jersey, where overall property levies have risen even faster, school millages in Pennsylvania constitute a heftier share of the annual property-tax bill."

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published