Sunday, July 7, 2013

Allentown School District's Tax Break For Seniors

I kept hearing over the years all these breaks people over 65 are getting. Other then a free bus ride I'm totally left out of all of them. Here is just the latest one.


On Wednesday, July 3rd just in time before July 4th holiday the Allentown School District sent the wife and I our per capita tax bills. Apparently they wanted to be first in line before I spent part of my lucrative Social Security check on hamburgers and beer. Being naive as I am when it comes to these matters, I thought not this year!

After paying this damn tax since I was 18 for the past 47 years I figured now that I'm 65 they would finally cut me a break. I thought wrong.

I went online to download the paperwork required to file "annually" for an exemption for those over 65. I could hardly believe what I was seeing. I thought this has to be wrong.


So I called them and played their multiple choice phone menu game. After being on hold for about 10 minutes (they were very busy- Yeah OK). Anyways, the person on the other end of the phone confirmed I have it right. I'm too damned rich to qualify.


Hell I made more money then that 43 years ago when my rent was only $90 a month for a two bedroom on 17th street. You've got to be kidding me. I have two questions I want to present to my readers. Is there anyone reading this that lives on less then $5,000 a year, other then a homeless person? And if you are homeless, did the ASD seek you out and hand deliver your per capita tax bill to you under the bridge where you live?

In other words.. there ain't no stinkin' exemptions.

This works out to be less then $96 a week income. If there are people who actually qualified I sure would like to meet the people on that list. I also would be very interested to see how many people are actually paying per capita to the ASD out of the estimated 87,000+ persons over 18 who are living here. It would be also interesting to see how many out of the 14,157 persons over 65 years of age living in Allentown find themselves in the same pickle as I.

Why do I have the feeling I would not be too pleased if I knew these answers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published