Thursday, March 21, 2024

The Economy Is Stupid



Median rent is Allentown is between $1,100 to $1200 for a one bedroom apartment. After I graduated in 1966 my rent was one week of my net pay for a single bedroom near 17th & Hamilton.

In today's economy I would have to earn a net pay of between $17.50 to $30 an hour to enjoy the same advantage I had back then. Keep in mind the job I had was just average joe-schmoe job. Nothing professional about it.



Speaking of Jobs
In those days I filled out an application and usually had my interview right after. In my case the first three different fulltime jobs I applied for from 1966-1971 resulted in me being hired right away. Course there were dozens upon dozens of employers around here competing with each other for employees. It's not that way anymore. Times sure changed a hellva' lot since then.

That's why I'm saying The Economy Is Stupid. These days you'd need two unskilled jobs (such as mine were) to have what I had back in those days with only one. Some could blame high rents. Others low wages. Maybe it's a combination of both. Whatever the reason people have it a lot tougher then I did back then. I don't see anything that's going to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published