Friday, April 22, 2016

Wehr's Dam Future To Be Determined By Referendum

Photo Credit: WFMZ


WFMZ is reporting Wehr's Dam rehab will go to referendum. "A rehabilitation project that would cost the township $588,500 and suggested a five-year timeline to complete it. Another costlier option would be for the township to tear the damn[sic] down and replace it at a cost of $1.9 million."


Let me stare into my crystal ball to see how this might play out in South Whitehall, Pennsylvania.

Even though there were promises made this wouldn't increase taxes I'd think it doesn't bode well for the dam. In almost every circumstance whenever things like these come up for a public vote on them voters reject spending money on nearly anything. Since I feel most of these politicos are in favor of the dam's removal this was the perfect route of escape for them.


Although I'm a proponent of public referendums I'm also a realist

South Whitehall voters were never consulted in the investment to the soccer or baseball fields nor the $10 million public safety center at Parkway and Broadway. But just you watch what may happen to the dam which could cost just 1/20th of that amount when left up to voters.

Hope I'm wrong. Maybe South Whitehall voters in fall will surprise me, but I doubt it.

1 comment:

  1. as someone who attended 13 South Whitehall meetings to save the dam, i can only marvel at the disingenuousness of the commissioners.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published