Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Do We Exist ? (Part 2)

I'm following up on a post I made back on August 27, 2014 entitled "Do We Exist? Although a long time coming this a follow up to it. Mostly because I'm tired of political postings for the time being. The premise I'm building on is the possibly we and the universe could be nothing more then a simulation much like some of our computer driven software we humans have already devised.


"Descartes claimed that he could definitively prove he existed, by concluding. “I think therefore I am". I read a lot of his work but don't think this proves a thing.

Just what if we humans devised a sophisticated software program in which the computer too believed itself to be capable of independent thought? Given whatever was encoded it could well have concluded itself to be conscious of itself having no other references other then whatever limitations programmers had given it to work with.


But wait you say. How about I punch you in he mouth, will you not feel pain? Well yeah if that was part of the software program. Today's programmers could easily make a computer respond to pressure, heat or just about any stimuli we wanted it to. Which then the question arises, What is reality? Yeah good question!

Ray Kurzweil - Are We Living in a Simulation?

A whole lot more on this subject can be found here, "The Holographic Universe"


If a computer were programmed sophisticated enough it too might begin to question who was it's creator. Of course that would be impossible if it (or we) were programmed with limitations. Today's fear is one day artificial intelligence might supersede us. Our own creator might have had those same concerns. Therefore if we live in a simulation it would be impossible to discover what true reality is.


BLOGGER'S NOTE:
Anyone who visits regularly will see I'm all over the map. No I do not have ADD. I have many varied interests. Rather then limit myself to only a few topics, I seek to explore anything and everything that draws my attention. It's my hope readers will join me in this journey never knowing what they can expect next. To those who have I wish to express my appreciation. While I'm not a comment whore it's always nice to hear a little feedback now and then. (I only had 4 comments so far this year)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published