Sunday, July 6, 2014

Another Part Of Our History This July 4th

"When he was a child, George Takei and his family were forced into an internment camp for Japanese-Americans, as a "security" measure during World War II. 70 years later, Takei looks back at how the camp shaped his surprising, personal definition of patriotism and democracy."

George Takei: Why I love a country that once betrayed me


This is my third July 4th weekend post This year I decided to reflect not only on the traditional flag waving, but also back into our history concentrating on some of the darker times we've come through.

I truly believe despite our many blemishes the United States remains the greatest hope for mankind on this Earth. If we should fail to achieve all the highest objectives mankind of this Earth has set for itself what hope shall there be found elsewhere?

With that thought in mind I greet this July 4th with both apprehension as well as ever hopeful that we as a nation of people become greater not for what we have been in the past, but rather what we here in the United States can aspire to in the future. If not we, I fear there will be no other.

Let us not compare ourselves to how badly people treat one another in other parts of the world as measure, but rather how badly we still behave towards one another.

Those are my thoughts on this the celebration acknowledging the birth of our nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published