Saturday, May 10, 2014

Scientist Create New Form Of Life

May 8th 2014 Fox News-- "Scientists create first living organism containing artificial DNA"

I'm not quite sure I'd use the word artificial to describe it. I think 'The Daily Mail' has a more accurate headline-- "'Alien' life form is grown in a lab". Not only do I feel it was a more appropriate headline but 'The daily Mail' provided far more details how scientist accomplished this.

Not that I understand all this complicated DNA razzmatazz but from what I gather they added RNA molecules to double helix DNA strands. This is something not found occurring naturally on it's own. In doing so created a new form of E. coli bacteria..

The whole thing kind of reminds me of Frankenstein
It makes one wonder why after millions of years of evolution by the life forms on Earth this hasn't occurred in nature.

Scientist hope it might lead to Nanomaterials which may lead to health benefits for humans. However there are safety concerns when messing with this kind of stuff. It also makes me think of giving a chemical set to a kid too young to own one. Your never quite sure how things will turn out, do you?

See also THIS ARTICLE which cautions, "Some experts are worried that scientists could create artificial life forms which might escape from a laboratory and cause an environmental or health disaster."

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published