Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Few Blog Clarifications



I've decided to respond to some criticisms of this blog in a FAQ type of format.

Some have come from comments I've not approved.

Others from various current sources elsewhere and some not so current.

Still others are a compilation from previous comments left here prior to the January 2013 reincarnation of this blog.



Why do you use the term "courtesy of"?
When I post videos from YouTube I use the term "courtesy of.." even though that is not necessary. When people upload videos they have an option as to whether they will allow the embedding them or not. By allowing the embedding of videos, they are giving their consent for the right to do so. While anyone can click on the title and be taken to it's author, I go one step further by crediting them because I appreciate that and want to go the extra measure in crediting them for doing so.


What about using charts and other visuals?
If you click on a chart or something I feel is proprietary it will open in a new window or tab and take you to the site I got them from.


You make a lot of claims. What's your Source?
I am meticulous about making myself clear about the source from which my statements are based. They too will open in another window or tab for verification.


Seems all you do report what's already public knowledge, why?
That may be so, but in so doing I'm sharing stuff I've come across that people might have missed. Things that I found to be of interest to me and I wanted to share with others. I would never pretend to be a reporter or have the resources of the New York Times, Fox News or others. In all cases by linking to the sources I'm fully crediting them. Again in this case like the YouTube videos they fall under 'fair use' and do not require their permission. In fact most sites, when I copy and paste show up on in my clipboards saying, "Read More At Http//:..... ". So obviously they encourage this type of thing. There are sites that won't even allow you to copy and paste by disabling the browser's functions from doing so. I fully respect their wishes and do not use their material here.

My site like a vast amount of others are referred to as "news aggregators". It could be said even large TV networks and newspapers do much the same in-so-much as they rely on the AP, Reuters and others for their stories.


Your anonymous and why don't you participate in the stuff you post about?
First to address the anonymous part. This isn't about me or who says what, but rather what is being said and the issue being spoken about. Just because a person is identified by name doesn't mean they have creditability. Take O.J. or Casey Anthony for example. I'd much prefer links to articles in which the author confirms their facts rather then who they are. Names mean nothing to me. The facts are the most important, not the author of them.


As far as civic involvement, attending meetings and organizing. Since when have they become a requirement before commenting or having an opinion? If this were the case no one who did not attend every press briefing, council meeting, protest demonstration, do a stint in a military, become a politician, commit a crime, have a talent for performing and the thousands of other things that people do SHOULD KEEP THEIR FAT MOUTHS SHUT, RIGHT?

Of course not!

We all formulate opinions and base our knowledge on those who have chosen to experience these things for themselves. Because they have done so, doesn't make them uniquely qualified somehow and that they alone have earned the right to speak. That somehow everyone who has not tread the same path as they are unqualified and should be discounted. To those I say, get over yourselves.


Why Don't You Involve Yourself More With Other Bloggers?
If experience has taught me one thing since I started blogging, it's that there's no comadre. The very first post I made back in 2008 was received with criticism and anger. I may be slow to learn but on January 2013 I revamped this blog entirely by removing almost all of my prior posts. I've been trying hard not get in another tangle with other bloggers and have desperately tried to remain separate in my own little world by not interacting with them.

I've now constrained myself to posting things that I wish to share with my readers about stuff I've come across that interest me. No longer do I care about blogger guidelines that will attract the most readers or what others may think. I've found myself more pleased with what I'm now doing. The most difficult part for me is staying off other sites and leaving comments. I'm not perfect about that but I'm trying :-)


You bitch and moan. Do you ever offer solutions?
Note that I've been trying to offer solutions in all the posts I've made since January of this year, rather then just crank.


What makes you an expert on anything?
Short answer is.. I'm not. I simply post on things that peak my interests or tick me off in some way. I have never claimed to be an expert. Nor do I claim to be a reporter or an activist. Just some average smuck who has an opinion and a suggestion or two. Hopefully I can spotlight posts that others find as interesting as I or may have ticked off other people too. If people want to leave a comment, so-be-it. If not that's fine with me too.


What's the theme of this blog?
It has none. I'm all over the place and I like it that way. Hopefully people will come here never knowing what to expect. I have way too many interests to focus on any single one of them.


Some people think your a waste of their time. Are you?
Not to me. I enjoy writing about all the various things I come across. If someone wants to leave comments that bash me or find my blog useless, I say, don't come back. Nobody dragged your butt here in the first place.

To the regular readers of this blog (there are many of you), I wish to acknowledge and thank you for continuing to come here and read this blog year after year. I'm aware of you and it's what inspires me to continue. I really do appreciate that folks.. I really do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published