Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Little Mermaid LIVE (IMO)

Off and on (between NCIS commercials) I took a peek at ABC's 'Little Mermaid' LIVE. Here's a few observations I made. The runtime for the film itself is 85 minutes. The network scheduled 120 minutes to air it. That leaves 35 minutes for intros, end credits and ads. If they had the usual number they would not have enough time. So the way I figure it they sped it up. Some of the streaming services are already known for doing this. Most never notice. Well I did. The characters were moving faster then in the original film. You can check this out for yourself via a YouTube search for sped up clips. It easy to do without changing the pitch of the voices going up. In fact I have software on this computer that can do this very thing.

Secondly I noticed the whole thing was lip synced by a previously recorded studio soundtrack. Faking audience screaming doesn't excite me either :-(

Being the film was released in1989 (30 years ago) it meant, most of the younger viewers watching never saw it before. This explains how it came in #1 with the highly desired 18-49 year old audience (about 2 million less then NCIS among all age groups). This was a positive for Disney.

For an old codger like myself, I'm not impressed. I like my singers to actually sing live. Speeding up the film and vocals takes away from what the original directors and music arrangers intended. It also makes me nervous with the characters zooming around faster then they should. Too much hype for my tastes.

That said.. I do see it as smart marketing since it captured the ratings. It was a winner for the younger crowd who may otherwise never see it. I suspect with this success Disney may consider dusting off some of the others in their archive. Nothing wrong with that. It just isn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published