Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Radio I Grew Up Listening To

Some Of The Great Radio DJ's I Grew Up Listening To

Video Courtesy: Art Vuolo


The problem today is someone could drive from Atlantic City to Los Angeles and still hear the same satellite feed program from coast to coast. Just what if one of the 50,000 watt stations set themselves apart from all the others. I wonder whether it ever crossed their minds. Considering AM radio is dead I wonder if one of them would have much to lose if they tried doing something entirely different by bringing back this kind of uniquely individual format. What do you think?

One of the guys I most listened to was Joey Reynolds when he was at WKBW (1520) out of Buffalo New York. It was one of only five clear channel 50,000 watt AM radio stations in the country. I hoped one day when I later got on radio to be just like him. Fortunately for me when I did I had neither his talent nor his knack for getting fired at just about every station he ever worked for :-)

Note in the following video the 27 stations he either got fired from or left on his own accord

Video Courtesy: Gene Tourangeau



Here's a Joey Reynolds classic from when he worked at WFIL Famous 56 in Philadelphia. It's from February 14th, 1985. Note in the video how after he screwed up he played a WIBG jingle instead of his own at WFIL just in case a listener would report him to the FCC :-)


Video Courtesy: Ellis Feaster


Legend has it the final straw that got him fired from WFIL is when he called a listener and pretended to be from another radio station and gave away that station's rather sizable prize money. LMAO!

Art Vuolo did a great job profiling Joey's long career


Joey Reynolds (Joey Pinto) does has a Facebook account. Let's hope we've not heard the last from this talented guy.


^ ^ ABOVE REPOSTED FROM ^ ^
Thursday, January 1, 2015





~ ~ ~
LVCI Plays DJ (Repost From 05/27/2013)


The songs are clipped down for audition purposes


I made the following audio files years ago when I first retired. They were supposed to be audition tapes to get a part time job back in radio like I did when I worked full time back in the early 70's in my retirement years.

Little did I realize THERE ARE NO JOBS IN LOCAL RADIO BROADCASTING!
That all went away years ago.



So instead I'm posting them here. I kind of figure at least somebody ought to hear them since I went to the trouble.


Rock Oldies
How many of these rock oldies from the 50's/60's have you heard before?
I'll bet very few.

60's SOUL

MOTOWN

Misc. 60's Stuff

60's Dance Hit Singles.

80's- Rock




Older Country
These audio files could be considered the country version of "Off The Chart Oldies". I'm not claiming to be all that and more. What I strived for was to create a bunch of tunes few people have ever heard of. Something that is unique, completely different and not currently being broadcast. So once again I ask.. How many of these have you ever heard before?

70's/80's
Part 1
 
Part 2

Part 3
This one is 46 minutes and contains 27 rare recordings. If you don't have time, you can always come back later. By moving the slider you can pick up where you left off.

Part 4
This one features 'Western Music'. It starts off with some tunes from the 30's but ends up with Western swing/dance music from around 2005. So if you don't like the old stuff, hang in there!

Part 5
This One Features The 80's

I hope you appreciate my efforts and enjoy these rare recordings.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.





Middle Of The Road- Light & Easy Listening
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

1 comment:

  1. Great write up, some of my favorite radio hosts include; Art Bell, George Noory, Michael Savage, Alex Jones, Bobby Gunther Walsh, Cigar Dave, Jim "Mouth that Roared" Gregory and of course Ron Angle and Bernie O'Hare.

    Some of WestWood 1's coverage of the NFL is very well done, also the old Bear Man and Keith!

    Happy New Year, Shalom.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are under moderation. Meaning pending approval. If comments are disrespectful or do not address this specific topic they will not be published